July 27, 2011

Drying up

Pert breasts are said to resemble champagne coupes (as opposed to champagne flutes, which is a good thing; can you imaging shopping for shirts?). As my milk supply dwindles, coupes are not the drinking vessels that come to mind when I look at my chest. A pair of empty wineskins, maybe.

My post-baby body is not as upsetting to me as the fact that I am about to stop lactating. Kai weaned himself several weeks ago. I dealt with it. I was still able to provide him with a bit of breast milk through daily pumping. That is no longer the case. I have been trying unsuccessfully to pinpoint precisely what it is about this that makes me sad.

I have a feeling that this is only the first of many small maternal heartbreaks. Earlier today Kai pulled himself to his feet without assistance for the first time. One of these days he will take his first steps. As any parent knows, it is bittersweet watching one's child moving toward independence. The drying up of my milk, however, is all bitter and no sweet.

3 comments:

TwinCat said...

He'll be off to college by September it sounds. They grow up fast. ;)

(I am personally happy that you chose an image of glasses and not your actual boobs which would have made me feel all awkward, twinnish as we might be, there are still boundaries... ;))

Calamity Jen said...

Taking boobs into consideration, I think it's safe to say that we're fraternal twins.

amelia said...

That was always a sad time in my life and in my daughters lives and my daughter in laws life. We all feel the same way even though my daughter in law nursed her three until they were two years, she was still sad!!!