December 18, 2007

Calamity loves power tools.

My access to power tools has been severely restricted ever since Scott caught me attempting to drill into a cement chimney using a spade bit. He relented somewhat this past summer and allowed me to use his father's power washer. I got a wee bit messy, but man was it fun!






Because I have been known to injure myself with tools as simple as tampers and scissors, I was surprised and delighted when Scott permitted me to use some of the equipment at the machine shop where he works. I used the grinder, the paint gun, and even the horizontal band saw! Whoohoo! If you look closely you will see not one, not two but three hand-mangling warnings on the band saw.




Why, you might ask, would Scott be so reckless as to allow me to operate such dangerous machinery? Was it because I have a kick-ass life insurance policy? Was it because I had corrected his grammar just one too many times? No, it was because I really wanted to have a hand in creating a gate for my parents for Christmas. Here are a few photos of the work in progress.










We installed the gate this evening but neglected to take photographs. Stay tuned for photos of the completed project.


7 comments:

Heather said...

This turned out awesome! Exactly how I pictured it. (did you have to dig out snow before installation? hehe)

martin dulac said...

That's what I picture the gate to heaven would look like...

Just one question though. In your second spacesuit picture, the hose attached to the spray gun appears to be coming from your head gear.????
Please explain.

Calamity Jen said...

Heather - Thankfully my parents had already cleared their driveway.

Martin - Hee hee, it DOES look like that, doesn't it? There are actually two hoses, one powering the spray gun and the other delivering fresh air to the inside of the helmet. It would have been way more fun to breathe helium, but there was none on hand.

Anonymous said...

We are so relieved that no one was injured in the construction of the most excellent gate. We can't thank you enough. We truly appreciate all the time and effort you both put into this most unique Christmas gift. We love the design and the craftsmanship is superb. You should go into business!!!
Mom (Scott's OM)

Calamity Jen said...

"...most excellent" -- I love that!

Rob K said...

Nice work, Jen, but you look like an X-File in that outfit.

I half-expect to see Scully and Mulder chasing you around with a net.

ryssee said...

Oh wow, that's awesome. Nice outfits too. The gate looks beautiful. I'd like to see what you can do with a paper clip and a piece of string, MacGyver!