July 13, 2006

I didn't make the news!


I had my first Young Driver's lesson and I didn't crash. I drove on main roads, made left turns, changed lanes and still didn't kill anybody! Hallelujah! I got honked at, made unnecessarily wide turns, failed to stop before turning right on a red, almost rammed Scott's mom's car when I pulled into the driveway... but like I said, nobody died. Any day I fail to make the news is a good day, as far as I'm concerned.



That all being said, I still feel like Toronto would be a safer place if I were restricted to driving one of those ubiquitous red and yellow plastic toy cars.

2 comments:

Heather said...

You are so awesome!!! My idol in fact - you did left turns!! I bet Lino was thanking his lucky stars for that break on his side! Here's my question...the person who honked...did they not see that you were in a driving school vehicle??? Why they hell would they honk!! Was it really necessary??????

Calamity Jen said...

I know. I mean, give me a break, I'm just learning. Yes, I was holding up traffic on Dufferin while waiting for a chance to change lanes, not realizing that the guy in front of me had made his left turn and got out of my way a while ago, but come on... I just laughed. In fact I laughed at all of my mistakes -- and in 90 minutes, there were plenty of them. By the end of the lesson I think I had actually managed to frazzle Lino, which is no mean feat. (Then again, he has a brand new front bumper and a homeowner asking for financial compensation because a student mowed down a 14' blue spruce last week, so perhaps he's more easily frazzled these days.)