February 15, 2008

You know it's going to be bad when...

...the stench wakes you up. The painkillers (for which we paid $77) caused Ferris to develop something I had never before had the misfortune to witness: projectile diarrhea. I first awoke to the smell at two o'clock in the morning. I made it to the living room in time to see Ferris vomiting a few feet away from the biggest mess he had ever made. He had actually grossed himself out. Once he was finished puking, he greeted me ecstatically. I spent the next fifteen minutes using up a roll of paper towel and at least a dozen Lysol wipes. Fun.


I returned to bed but awoke a few hours later to the very same stink. Once again, Ferris greeted me with his full-body wag. It was as if he was awaiting praise for his latest display, which resembled a giant Spin-Art creation gone very, very wrong.




Scott brought Ferris outside, where he repeated his spinning poop routine. I was still scrubbing the floor when they came back in. And silly me, I thought it would be safe to go back to bed for a little while. Before long, I awoke for a third time to olfactory overload. A new roll of paper towel, a new container of Lysol wipes, and another trip to the back yard where Ferris could yet again recreate his artwork. The vet instructed me to stop giving Ferris the painkillers and she offered to dispense a medication to stop the diarrhea. I said thanks but no thanks. With my luck, the anti-diarrheal would cause Ferris to, I don't know, bleed from the ears, for which another medication would be required. If I weren't broke from the vet bills, I would be buying stocks in veterinary pharmaceutical companies.


5 comments:

amelia said...

What fun!!!

Having been there and done that numerous times I sympathise greatly, not that my sympathy will help!!

It will get better, it really will!

Poor Ferris....

Anonymous said...

On a separate topic entirely.....I see that the manufacturers of Spin Art have added a new part to their product. A partial cover! DOH! Why didn't they think of that way back when you and Ian had one?
Oh well, I have an old paint stained apron to remember those fun times.

Heather said...

Oh my goodness!!! Poor everyone (meaning once the ground thaws the neighbours will be treated to a particular zoo smell from your yard) + Ferris. The other puppy and cats slept through it all I hope as other animals tracking through the mess would have been even less fun.

Unknown said...

Yikes! I thought with as many animals as I have, that I'd pretty much seen it all. But not that. Unfortunately, I don't have any medical help for you. I'll be interested to here if you find something that works.

Sorry to hear he was ill = hope he's better now.

Calamity Jen said...

So far so good... but we're off to the vet today for a splint change. They may have to sedate him if he's uncomfortable. (Ferris, not the vet.)