August 04, 2006

Mangy mutt

Watching Ferris running about the yard this morning, I saw just how much fur he has chewed off the back of his legs and how tiny he looks compared to his old self. We've had him on prescription kibble for a while and yet his itchiness has shown no sign of subsiding. I phoned the vet, who is now convinced that Ferris has mange.



Notoedres mite


I'll be picking up Revolution and steroids at the clinic this afternoon. I am hoping for quick relief for my mangy mutt.

7 comments:

Katyola said...

Good luck on the mange. I actually know a person who had mange, and he wound up shaving his head to avoid the random bald spots. But it seems they have more success treating it in dogs.

Calamity Jen said...

Thank you, Katy. I'm so glad that Scott and I didn't get mange (although the more I think about it, the itchier I get). Good thing that Ferris doesn't sleep on the furniture and that we don't have carpets.

Romance said...

Poor Ferris. They thought Little Dog (our trusty canine companion) had mange. But really, it turns out, she is a fastidious groomer who grooms her fur right off her legs to leave little pink bald patches. When she combines that behavior with her propensity to hunger strike - she is looks a newly adopted rescue pup making look like the bad dog parents of the dog park.

Calamity Jen said...

So you must get the same kind of looks that we get at the dog park. That "Horrid people like you don't deserve to own a dog" glare. Sucks, doesn't it?

panda said...

My little Shit Tzu chews on her legs and fur, due to a fungus like athelete's foot is in people. For dogs, it is whole body. Which means during a recurrence, we have to keep her shaved in a marine-like buzz cut to keep her fur from matting.

A bald Shi Tzu is not a pretty picture.

panda said...

I didn't mean to swear in that last comment... just bad typing skillz!

Calamity Jen said...

No problem, Panda. Your typo gave me a chuckle.